Lost or Stolen Sri Lankan Passport - Overseas
|If your passport is lost or stolen, it is the responsibility of the holder (owner) of passport to inform the concerned authorities immediately. Failure to do so may result in your lost or stolen passports being used for illegal activities and you may be liable for aiding and abetting an offence.
Documents required for application of new passport in lieu of expired passport:
If you find your passport again, after it was reported as lost, or if you find a Sri Lankan passport belonging to another person: please mail the passport in a sturdy envelope to the address below.
Lost / Stolen Passport Desk
Department of Immigration and Emigration
No: 41, Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha
How to apply for a new passport in lieu of a lost Sri Lankan passport
Applicants must come to the Mission personally to hand over the passport application. Applications for new passport in lieu of lost/damaged passport cannot be submitted by post. Carefully read and follow the instructions on this page.
1.) Obtain an application form from the Embassy in Berlin or the Consulate General in Frankfurt
By Post: Please send a request letter with self-addressed stamped envelope to the Mission in Germany. Stamp value of € 3.95 and envelope size 23 cm x 10 cm (9 x 4 inches). Please state your purpose of application, name, address and phone number in the request letter.
Internet: Application forms in English, and instructions in Sinhala, Tamil and English are available in the Download Section of this web site.
2.) Instructions of filling the application forms
(a) Form K, duly completed according to following:
- Applicants are advised to carefully read the given instructions before completing the form.
- Present postal address and telephone number in Germany at cage 5 on Page 1
- Verification photograph and applicant’s signature could be attested by an officer at the Mission when handing in the application
- Place applicant's signature on two(2) cages provided on Page 2. You can sign in the presence of the officer at the Mission.
Please note that your writing should not touch the borders of the cage.
- Place applicant's signature at bottom on Page 2.
(b) Photo of applicant
- One application needs 3 identical photos.
- Please read the instructions given on the form.
- Photo size for main applicant is 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm without the white border
- One of the photographs should be pasted on Page 1. And 2 photos should be pasted on Page 2
- Photographs should be 'direct face' and both ears must be visible
- Please do not write or mark anything on the photographs
- Photographs should have been taken within the last three (3) months. Photographs taken more than three months ago will not
(c) The "Stolen or Lost Passport Complaint Form" must be duly completed.
- All information must be filled in
- Please do not leave any blanks
- You can download this complaint form on this website at the Downloads section
(d) To endorse the child/children in above passport submit Form C
- Submit Form C duly completed with Form K (above)
- This Form C is applicable for deletion of names of children as well
- You need three (3) colour photographs of each child who is to be included in passport
- Photo size 2.5 cm x 3 cm without the white border
- Write the names of child/children on the reverse side of all three photos
- The photos should be submitted with the application
- Verification photograph and applicant's signature should be attested according to the given instructions
3) List of Supporting Documents Required for Lost Passports
I. Copy of the lost passport and previous passports (if applicable.)
II. Original Birth Certificate of applicant with a photocopy
III. The National Identity Card or Driving Licence of Sri Lanka with a photocopy
IV. An affidavit signed by certified Notary explaining the circumstances as to how the passport was lost. The signature of the Notary in the affidavit should be certified.
V. If the above affidavit is in German or in any other foreign language – you should submit English translation of the affidavit done by a sworn translator
VI. Police Report: certificate from the police station where you have reported the loss or theft of your passport
VII. Original identification documents and visa documents which you possess now. Please submit all visa cards, visa letters and temporary personal/travel documents issued by authorities in Germany or other countries A letter from the German Ausländeramt to confirm that you have not surrendered your passport to the Ausländeramt and/or that you have not applied for a German travel document and you are eligible to legal residency in Germany (visa).
VIII. A letter from the German Ausländeramt to confirm that you are eligible to legal residency in Germany (visa). The letter must state your current visa status, whether you have surrendered your passport to the Ausländeramt and/or that you have not applied for a German travel document
IX. Self-addressed stamped envelope (Stamp value of € 3.95 and envelope size 23 cm x 10 cm or 9 x 4 inches). If applicant needs an acknowledgement of the application, another SAE affixed to the value of €0.70.
X. Application fees in cash to be paid at the counter. Application fee without copy of lost passport: 335. Application with photocopy of lost passport: Euro 260.
4.) Fees and Payment
Bank details: >>>>
If your passport was lost or stolen within Sri Lanka
|If your Sri Lankan passport is stolen or lost in Sri Lanka you can report the incident by phone to Immigration Department hotline phone 011 532 9502 and fax 011 532 9501. Operators are available 8.30 a.m. to 4.00 PM, Monday-Friday, excluding Government holidays.
- Make a complaint to your local police station as soon as possible.
- Police will transmit the details of your complaint to the Department of Immigration and Emigration.
- Upon receipt by Immigration the details from the police, Immigration and Emigration Department will take necessary
measures to cancel the stolen, lost or missing passport.
- Passport reported lost or stolen can no longer be used for travel. The details of cancellation will be automatically shared
worldwide through INTERPOL to avoid misuse.
Never use the lost or stolen passport again, even you find it later, after making a complaint. You are strongly advised to obtain a new passport immediately to avoid inconvenience.